It's now cool to not try, but even worse than that is that it's looked down upon to try. In school systems, this can not be allowed to go on. It encourages a tremendous lack of effort and often effort is more important than superior intellect. This idealism has even gone into many other aspects of culture, such as video games. Yesterday, I was just playing online when someone heckled me for wanting to win. The point anonymous was trying to make was simply that trying wasn't cool, and eventually he came to completely spending his time demeaning me for trying. As a whole, no one benefits from this type of attitude. As a whole it must be stopped as soon as possible, so giving effort in school can be accepted and students can dedicate their time without being heckled.
Saturday, October 1, 2011
No Effort
Recently, it seems a new term has developed on the internet, and I've notice it quite commonly in society. The term is "try-hard" and quite commonly(often in a denotative fashion) to describe someone or something that's trying very hard to accomplish a goal. Quite disturbing in my opinion, as this encourages people and members of society to not try. It seems more and more prevalent and obvious in the school system and especially at Blackstone Valley Tech. I can vividly remember talking to two friends of mine and inquiring as to how they were doing in math class, as I found to be extremely difficult. Both of my friends told me they had grades of seventies and lower, and yet they both also said they could do better if they just did their work. I asked them why they didn't and one simply responded with, "I don't know". The other one told me that he didn't feel like doing homework, and both were very defensive when they heard I had a better grade. Immediately, they insisted they would have better grades than me if they put in any effort, and attacked me for doing well in the class. I was very shocked at the defensiveness and the response, so it's stayed as a vivid memory in my head for a few years. From then on, the trend has been easy to notice. Quite commonly, kids who do well in school are teased for having "no life" because the work load can be tremendous(life referring to social life).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment